- ALLONEI YIẒḤAK
- ALLONEI YIẒḤAK (Heb. אַלּוֹנֵי יִצְחָק), youth village in central Israel. It was founded in 1948 within the confines of neighboring kefar glickson , with which it continued to be closely linked. In 1949 it received its own land in the vicinity. Its establishment was aided by the general zionist and Progressive parties and by the hadassah organization of america . Within the framework of youth aliyah , Allonei Yiẓḥak trained immigrant children, principally in agriculture, and held courses for American high school students under the auspices of its American-Israel Secondary School Program. Subsequently it became a boarding school housing 75% of the village's students and still absorbing immigrant youth with special ulpan courses to learn Hebrew. The village included various farm branches, where students worked one day a week. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 300, dropping to 223 from 20 different countries in 2002. The name ("oaks of Yiẓḥak") refers to the oak forest formerly in the vicinity and to the Zionist leader Yiẓḥak gruenbaum . -WEBSITE: www.knay.alona.k12.il . (Efraim Orni / Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.) ALLONIM ALLONIM (Heb. אַלּוֹנִים; "oaks"), kibbutz in northern Israel, on the Tivon hills of western Lower Galilee. Allonim was founded in 1938 as a "tower and stockade" settlement during the Arab riots. The original settlers were graduates of the first youth aliyah group from germany . In 1968 it had over 500 inhabitants, including immigrants from various countries and Israeli-born. In 2002 the population was 547. The kibbutz economy was based on intensive mixed farming (field crops, dairy cattle, sheep, poultry). It was also home to the Algat Company, specializing in aluminum finishing processes for the aircraft, military, and other high-technology industries. (Efraim Orni / Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)
Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.
Look at other dictionaries:
POPULATION — THE JEWISH POPULATION Growth by Aliyah In 1882 the Jewish population of Ereẓ Israel numbered some 24,000, roughly 5% of the total, and about 0.3% of the world Jewish population. Since then there has been an almost continuous flow of aliyah, which … Encyclopedia of Judaism
KEFAR GLICKSON — (Heb. כְּפַר גְּלִיקְסוֹן), kibbutz in the N. Sharon, Israel, on the rim of the Manasseh Hills, affiliated to Ha Oved ha Ẓiyyoni. It was founded in 1939 on palestine jewish colonization association (PICA) land. The founding settlers, from Romania … Encyclopedia of Judaism